Saturday, March 13, 2010

Closet Guilt

Effective March 1st I have vowed not to purchase any new clothes for one year. For the past several months I have felt guilty every time I opened my closet -- clothes never worn from seasons past, some with the tags still attached, skirts and dresses worn once and abandoned. Not only is it a terrible waste of money and closet space it seems to me to be a terrible waste of energy -- all those hours wandering through shops, trolling through racks, feeling utterly defeated or momentarily thrilled. So, not only am I taking a shopping hiatus, I am emptying my closet of everything that I don't absolutely love or wear consistently. It is quite a freeing experience -- as my closet contents dwindle so to does my guilt level.

This vow is not as drastic as it first appears -- I will not be roaming around town naked or in rags. I sew and plan to renew and revamp my wardrobe using that skill. After much consideration I have come to the conclusion that the only items I will not be able to produce for myself are socks. Somehow I just can't envision myself wearing hand knit, thick, lumpy socks. Oh, and shoes -- I'll have to purchase shoes -- but not my usual, completely impractical, 3 or 4 inch heels that are lovely to look at but never seem to get worn.

No comments:

Post a Comment